Thursday, September 1, 2016

SQL Saturday in Pittsburgh, PA. Sessions I want to visit.

I've started the series of SQL Saturday pre-reviews from SQL Saturday in Charlotte, NC last Saturday.
Now I want to continue with overview of SQL Saturday #545 in Pittsburgh, PA, which is sceduled exactly one month from now:

Event date: October 1st, 2016.
Session schedule: http://www.sqlsaturday.com/545/Sessions/Schedule.aspx

Event Home

Slot #1. 08:45 AM - 09:45 AM

That is probably the hardest slot to make the decision with.
There are two "performance" sessions: Chris Bell's "Would You Just Load Already?! Maximizing Your SSIS Data Load" and Jeff Moden's "The Secret to High Performance Code...The Devil’s in the Data".
There are two "High Availability" sessions: Adam Belebczuk's "Availability Groups 101: An Introduction" and Drew Furgiuele's "SQL Server Transactional Replication: A Deep Dive"
Even though my favorite so far is Jeremy Frye's "Speed Up Your SSAS Cube's Data Refresh With Dynamic Partition Processing" I might make my mind at the last moment or run between the sessions and capture the best of all.


Slot #2. 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM

That is the easiest slot for me. The session I'd like to visit in that slot would be Kevin Kline's "Configuration Option and Trace Flag Secrets: Surprising Behavior at the Flick of a Switch".
However, I'll miss that one because I must attend the best one: "What treasures are hidden in the Plan Cache?" which will be delivered by myself. Although, it will be my first time with that session, I hope that will be the turning point for all attendees, as it was for me few years ago when I attended similar topic delivered by Christina Leo. That topic should open your eyes on what the Plan Cache is, how it works, why we need it and what extra benefits we can get from it.

Slot #3. 11:15 AM - 12:15 PM

Despite of all other good sessions I want to visit Jonathan Stewart's "An introduction to the magical world of BIML!". I already know what it is and even tried it once, but I want to nail it down by asking questions and start using BIML from this point on daily basis.

Slot #4. 01:30 PM - 02:30 PM

In My previous post I've said that I will visit Rick Heiges' session "Winning with Columnstore - A Customer Story" in Pittsburgh, but I might review that decision and visit it in Charlotte. In Pittsburgh Rick will compete with Thomas Grohser's "Designing SQL Server HA/DR Infrastructure to meet the SLA", which I'm not going to miss that day.

Slot #5. 02:40 PM - 03:40 PM

That slot looks more relaxing. Different interests covered and I'll visit Robert Davis's "Exploiting SQL Server Security Holes".

Slot #6. 03:50 PM - 04:50 PM

The last slot and the less confusing one: Steve Hood's session "Buffer Pool Memory Management" is the winner in that slot for me.

So, if you are not registered yet for SQL Saturday in Pittsburgh, do it ASAP and dig into the schedule to find the topic you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment